- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kostnice (ossuary) Review
This is the reason many people outside the Czech Republic have heard of, and make the trip to, Kutná Hora. Forget all that beautiful baroque architecture and descend into the darkness with some bones. Thousands of bones to be exact; all lovingly arranged in the Kaple Vsech svatých (All Saints Chapel), more commonly called the Bone Church. Built in the 16th century, this church forced the movement of a nearby graveyard. Monks from the nearby Sedlec Monastery decided to use the displaced cemetery bones to decorate the church, because, why not?
The recently renovated Church of the Assumption of the Virgin across the street from the ossuary at the former Sedlec Monastery exemplifies the work of Giovanni Santini (1667-1723. A master of expressive line and delicate proportion, this one-of-a-kind architect fathered a bravura hybrid of Gothic and baroque. Vítezná, 284 03. 327-561-143 parish. 30 Kc, prior booking needed.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
part one of my trip report of my recent vist to Prague. Read more
A bit off the regular Fodor’s tourist path, but I thought I would share nonetheless for anyone looking for something a little different.
Our daughter’s school’s band and strings program Read more
I am just starting my research for our 2014 Europe trip. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more