- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Zámek Konopiště (Konopiště Castle)
Zámek Konopiště (Konopiště Castle) Review
Set in a huge, beautiful park, Konopiště Castle dates from the 14th century and is best known as the hunting lodge of the ill-fated Archduke Franz Ferdinand, whose assassination sparked World War I. He no doubt had a whale of a time hunting in the grounds before he met his untimely end, and now visitors can wander the forests, gaze at the lake, and even watch plays in summer, as well as musing on the Archduke's global significance. In a suitably historic touch, there's also bear who lives in the castle moat; he's a bit shy so you might not see him.
The castle itself is also worth a look, with a carefully preserved interior including many original furnishings from Ferdinand's time. The rooms reflect his incredible opulence as well as his fondness for hunting—there are animal trophies and weapons everywhere. For a properly immersive experience, you can even stay inside the castle walls at a little pension.
Getting to the castle usually involves a ⅓-mi walk through the woods. It can only be seen on a guided tour; book in advance for an English-speaking guide. If one isn't available, ask for an English text to accompany the tour.
- Address: Zámek Konopiště, Benešov, Bohemia 256 01
- Phone: 317–721–366 castle information; 224–497–492 reservations
- Cost: Tours 220 Kč–320 Kč
- Hours: Apr.–May and Sept., Tues.–Sun. 10–4, Jun.–Aug., Tues.–Sun. 10–5; Oct.–Nov., weekends only, 10–3
- Website: www.zamek-konopiste.cz
- Location: Konopiště
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
Hi, there. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more