North of Limassol, these mountains, which rise to 6,500 feet, have shady cedar and pine forests and cool springs. Small, painted Byzantine churches in the Troodos and Pitsilia foothills are rich examples of a rare indigenous art form. Asinou Church, a UNESCO World Heritage site near the village of Nikitari, and Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis (St. Nicholas of the Roof), south of Kakopetria, are especially noteworthy.
Troodos Mountains at a Glance
Elsewhere in Cyprus
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe