North of Limassol, these mountains, which rise to 6,500 feet, have shady cedar and pine forests and cool springs. Small, painted Byzantine churches in the Troodos and Pitsilia foothills are rich examples of a rare indigenous art form. Asinou Church, a UNESCO World Heritage site near the village of Nikitari, and Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis (St. Nicholas of the Roof), south of Kakopetria, are especially noteworthy.
Troodos Mountains at a Glance
Elsewhere in Cyprus
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's