One of the prettiest villages in Cyprus, Omodos sits on the southern slopes of the Troodos Mountains. It's an ancient winemaking town centered around a historic Byzantine monastery, Timios Stavros. As you wander the narrow cobblestone streets lined with whitewashed villas (and plenty of tourist shops), be sure to stop in one of the many wine-tasting stalls for a sample or two of wines made from Cypriot grapes like Xynisteri (white) and Mavro (red); some shops still display old-fashioned grape presses and other winemaking paraphernalia.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hi All! Read more
I am back from vacation, and wanted to pay back all the good info gotten here with any help I can give.
Just a little background. My husband and I (late 40's), traveled with our 11 year old Read more
We are thinking of going to Cyprus for a week around Christmas this year, possibly from 21st to 28th December. Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more