One of the prettiest villages in Cyprus, Omodos sits on the southern slopes of the Troodos Mountains. It's an ancient winemaking town centered around a historic Byzantine monastery, Timios Stavros. As you wander the narrow cobblestone streets lined with whitewashed villas (and plenty of tourist shops), be sure to stop in one of the many wine-tasting stalls for a sample or two of wines made from Cypriot grapes like Xynisteri (white) and Mavro (red); some shops still display old-fashioned grape presses and other winemaking paraphernalia.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi All! I just got back from a trip to Cyprus, and was amazed at how beautiful the island was. The beaches are gorgeous, and the mounta... Read more
Hi All, I am back from vacation, and wanted to pay back all the good info gotten here with any help I can give. Just a lit... Read more