One of the prettiest villages in Cyprus, Omodos sits on the southern slopes of the Troodos Mountains. It's an ancient winemaking town centered around a historic Byzantine monastery, Timios Stavros. As you wander the narrow cobblestone streets lined with whitewashed villas (and plenty of tourist shops), be sure to stop in one of the many wine-tasting stalls for a sample or two of wines made from Cypriot grapes like Xynisteri (white) and Mavro (red); some shops still display old-fashioned grape presses and other winemaking paraphernalia.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hi All! Read more
I am back from vacation, and wanted to pay back all the good info gotten here with any help I can give.
Just a little background. My husband and I (late 40's), traveled with our 11 year old Read more
Could anybody suggest good city guide in Prague. Read more
· News & Features
With Art Basel Miami now in town, it's prime time to consider the 7 reasons why you should be taking a... Read more
New York City offers irresistible retail therapy during the holiday season.... Read more
Next year, crazed soccer fans the world will descend upon Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup.... Read more