Fodor's European Cruise Ports of Call
Ayios Lazarus Review
In the town center stands one of the island's more important churches, Ayios Lazarus (Church of Lazarus), resplendent with gold icons and unique woodcarvings. Constructed in AD 890 by Byzantine Emperor Leo VI and restored to its glory in the 17th century, it is a beautiful example of Byzantine architecture. The church includes a fascinating crypt containing the sarcophagus of the Biblical Lazarus mentioned in Luke; Jesus is said to have resurrected Lazarus four days after his death, after which time Lazarus traveled to Kition (Larnaca's ancient city), where he became a bishop for 30 years.
- Address: Plateia Agiou Lazarou, Larnaca
- Phone: 24/652498
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Weekdays 8–12:30 and 2:30–5:30; weekends 8–5:30
- Location: Larnaca
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi All! Read more
I am back from vacation, and wanted to pay back all the good info gotten here with any help I can give.
Just a little background. My husband and I (late 40's), traveled with our 11 year old Read more
I am getting married next year. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more