Built in 1891 as the Schlessinger Palace and converted in 1907 to become the city's first hotel, the Palace Hotel offers romantic, old-fashioned comfort. The rooms, which were all completely renovated in 2005–6, have modern beds and furnishings but retain their original art-nouveau look with moldings and long drapes. Blue and golden hues predominate. Overlooking a green square between the train station and the city center—and only a five-minute walk from either—the
Palace is best known by locals for the street-level, Viennese-style café.