Zagreb and Environs Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Zagreb & Environs Top 5
With lovely parks, squares, museums, and churches, hoofing it in Croatia's compact capital is an unforgettable experience. If your feet fail, you can always jump on a convenient tram.
Plitvice Lakes National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is Croatia's most-visited park, with 16 crystal-clear lakes connected by waterfalls and cascades.
Zagorje's forested hills north of Zagreb are ornamented by some lovely fortresses, built to ward off centuries of onslaughts by various foes.
Varazdin is the most harmonious and beautifully preserved baroque town in this corner of the continent.
Here you get the best of both worlds: top-notch seafood and Central European meaty, spicy fare. And best of all, prices are fairly reasonable even at the top restaurants.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe