Although local buses and ferries are an excellent, stress-free method of touring the region (buses are scheduled in tandem with the docking of ferries, so don't fear that you'll be left stranded at an empty dock), touring the Kvarner by car does offer the opportunity to nose your way around some of the smaller and more remote villages on the islands and up in the mountains. In addition, despite a poor safety record and heavy traffic in high season, there are few roads more scenic than the Magistrala. A car is also useful if you plan to leave Kvarner and head for Istria (passing through the Učka Tunnel). However, good bus services to Zagreb and a comfortable overnight ferry to Dalmatia mean that a vehicle is not really essential for moving on to other areas.
Avis (Riječki lukobran bb, Rijeka, 51000. 051/311–135. www.avis.com.hr.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's