Fodor's Croatia and Slovenia, 2nd Edition
Katedrala sv. Vida (St. Vitus's Cathedral)
Katedrala sv. Vida (St. Vitus's Cathedral) Review
Unusual in this part of the world, the church centers on a rotunda, although numerous additions and mixtures of style blunt its effect on the onlooker. Fine baroque statues are sheltered by baroque and Gothic construction. Founded by the Jesuits in 1638, the cathedral was named for Rijeka's patron saint. An 18th-century gallery was reportedly built to protect young novice monks from the tempting sights presented when the local lovelies attended services. At the main entrance you can find a cannonball in the wall, apparently sent from a British ship during the Napoleonic wars.
- Address: Grivića 11, Rijeka, 51000
- Phone: 051/330–897
- Hours: Daily 6:30 am–noon and 4:30–7 pm
- Location: Rijeka
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last year me and my friends decided to take a trip to Europe, but not the more touristy western part of the continent, but the lesser traveled Eastern part of the same. Read more
In late September/early October, my husband and I took our honeymoon: a week-long cycling trip from Venice to Porec, followed by a (non-cycling) week of wine tasting and relaxing in Istria and Slovenia. Read more
You guys were very helpful while planning, and during, our last trip (7 weeks to Turkey and Greece last spring), so I'd like your thoughts and suggestions while planning our next trip.
We're planning Read more
· News & Features
Everyone knows Europe's heavy-hitters.... Read more
'Tis the season for truffled travels.... Read more
Croatia is filled to the brim with spectacular food and drink—olive oil and grapevines, lobste... Read more