- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kvarner Hotel Reviews
Opatija, Krk, and Losinj have a healthy selection of quality hotels, but outside these (relatively) major resorts, hotels become a rarer commodity. Much more common is renting a house or apartment. There are multitudes of these holiday homes available across the region, and local tourist offices and many agencies can assist in booking. Expect anything from a room in a block that shares a common kitchen, to a full-blown private house. Terraces are a standard and range from a simple tiled slab with metal rails to prevent you toppling off to a beautifully appointed perch shaded by a vine-smothered trellis and with an open grill for al fresco cooking. If you want to save money, consider renting a room in a private home. This arrangement rarely involves food, so you'll have to get up and out in the morning for your breakfast. At major transport hubs you'll often be accosted by elderly ladies attempting to entice you to their spare room. (They shout out,"Soba!," meaning "room.") Having a map in hand to understand exactly the location of the room being offered is wise, since out-of-town rooms often mean navigating the public transport system late in the evening or shelling out for a taxi ride. Croats are a house-proud race, so in general rented rooms are likely to be very clean and comfortable, with private bathrooms. Your welcome will probably be very warm, with drinks—especially strong coffee—thrust under your nose the moment you step across the threshold. There's no better way to get a real feel for how Croats live.
It can be close to impossible to get accommodations for fewer than two consecutive nights in high season, so plan to stay at least that long in each place you overnight.
Browse Kvarner Hotels
Browse Kvarner Hotels By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 4-Star BEST WESTERN Jadran Fr $118+/Nt Hotels.com
- Book 3-Star Neboder Fr $106+/Nt Expedia
- Rijeka Savings! Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $121+/Nt — $121 Expedia