- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Eufrazijeva Basilica (St. Euphrasius Basilica)
Eufrazijeva Basilica (St. Euphrasius Basilica) Review
The magnificent Eufrazijeva Basilica is among the most perfectly preserved early-Christian churches in Europe, and one of the most important monuments of Byzantine art on the Adriatic. It was built by Bishop Euphrasius in the middle of the 6th century and consists of a delightful atrium, a church decorated with stunning mosaics, an octagonal baptistery, a 16th-century bell tower you can climb (for a modest fee), and a 17th-century Bishop's Palace whose foundations date to the 5th century and whose basement contains an exhibit of stone monuments and of mosaics previously on the basilica floor. The church interior is dominated by biblical mosaics above, behind, and around the main apse. In the apsidal semidome, the Virgin holding the Christ child is seated in a celestial sphere on a golden throne, flanked by angels in flowing white robes. On the right side there are three martyrs, the patrons of Porec; the mosaic on the left shows Bishop Euphrasius holding a model of the church, slightly askew. High above the main apse, just below the beamed ceiling, Christ holds an open book in his hands while apostles approach on both sides. Other luminous, shimmeringly intense mosaics portray further ecclesiastical themes.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Low Pula Rate: Book Fr $131+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $23/night less
- Pula Savings! Book 3 Nts in Jun at Park Fr $145+/Nt Expedia
- Super Low Pula Rate: Book Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Hotels.com
- Save in Pula: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $115+/Nt — $115 Expedia
- 3-Star Verudela Beach & Villa Fr $168+/Nt — $168 Hotels.com
Just back from our trip and thought Id write a quick report as a thanks to all the great info we received from this forum.
Prague: We arrived around 1 pm after long day flying from Vancouver Canada. Pre- Read more
My wife and I are not the type to tag along with groups on organized trips. Read more
Hey guys !
I'm a young female traveler preparing for a one month trip in eastern europe. I've been several times to Romania since I'm from there but I've always wanted to have a broader taste of that pa Read more
· News & Features
Croatia, with stunning scenery and a still-off-the-beaten-track vibe, is set to join the EU this summer,... Read more
What could be better than a few days spent playing in the waves?... Read more
Fall is the time for savvy travels, with slashed prices, fewer crowds, and cooler temps.... Read more