- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
It is an understatement to say that a day exploring the undulating green countryside and medieval hill towns of inland Istria makes a pleasant contrast to life on the coast. Motovun, for one, is a ravishing place. The king of Istria's medieval hill towns, with a double ring of defensive walls as well as towers and gates, may even evoke a scene straight from Lord of the Rings. Motovun is the place to visit if you opt to travel inland for a day or two from the sea. Be warned though, the town sees lots of tour buses. That said, a walk around the ramparts offers views across the oak forests and vineyards of the Mirna Valley. Just outside the village wall stands a church built according to plans by Palladio. In late July Motovun transforms for about five days into one of Croatia's liveliest (and most crowded) destinations—for the famed Motovun Film Festival.
Elsewhere in Istria
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2999 -- Croatia: 8-Night Escorted Trip w/Roundtrip Airfare Friendly Planet Travel