Croatia Top Reasons to Go
Beaches. With crystal-clear, emerald-blue waters, the coast and islands are a haven for beach goers, the water being warm enough to swim from mid-May to late September. Most beaches are of pebble (not sand), but the water is particularly beautiful. Nude beaches are also common.
History. Dalmatia in particular has been part of the Venetian and Holy Roman empires, and important ruins can be found throughout, especially in Split.
Sailing. With an indented coastline abounding in natural harbors, countless islands, emerald-blue seas, and unspoiled nature, Croatia is a sailor's dream destination.
Wine. Croatia produces some excellent wines, which have finally gained recognition abroad. The best Istrian wines are the white Malvazija and the red Teran, both of which are similar to the wines of the same names from neighboring Slovenia. Dalmatian wines have a higher alcohol content, thanks to the southwest-facing slopes, which take full advantage of the sun. The best are from the islands of Hvar, Vis, and Korčula.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's