- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The more upmarket hotels, such as the Excelsior and Villa Dubrovnik, have their own beaches that are exclusively for the use of hotel guests. The most natural and peaceful beaches lie on the tiny island of Lokrum, a short distance south of the Old Town. Through high season boats leave from the Old Harbor, ferrying visitors back and forth from morning to early evening. Ferries run every half hour from 9 am to 7:30 pm. Tickets cost 35 Kn.
Eastwest Beach. Eastwest Beach Club is on Banje beach, just a short distance from Ploce Gate, with views across the sea to the tiny island of Lokrum. It's a fashionable spot, with a curving stretch of golden sand, complete with chaise longues and parasols for rent, and a chic bar-restaurant. Amenities: food and drink; showers; toilets. Best for: partiers; swimming. Frana Supila, Banje Beach, Dubrovnik, 20000. 020/412-220.
Lokrum. Some of Dubrovnik's most natural and peaceful beaches lie on the tiny island of Lokrum, a short distance southeast of the Old Town. Lush and fertile, this tiny island is also home to the ruins of an abandoned 11th-century monastery, set in exotic gardens. From here, a network of footpaths lead down to the rocky shoreline, where it's possible to swim. There's also a small stretch of coast reserved for nudists. To reach Lokrum, take a taxi-boat from the old harbor; they run every half hour from 9 am to 7:30 pm during the summer. Roundtrip tickets cost 50 Kn. Amenities: food and drink. Best for: walking; nudists. a 15-min boat ride from Dubrovnik's old harbor, Island of Lokrum, Dubrovnik, 20000. www.lokrum.hr.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Dubrovnik this May Fr $116+/Nt Save with Expedia, $35/night less
- 4-Star Ariston Fr $302+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $286/night less
- Save at 3-Star Komodor: $182 & Up in May — $182 Save with Expedia, $67/night less
- 4-Star Valamar Dubrovnik President Fr $239+/Nt — $239 Save with Hotels.com, $20/night less
- Special deal: 3-Star Splendid Fr $234+/Nt — $234 Save with Expedia, $95/night less