National Museum of History
National Museum of History Review
About 5 miles south of central Sofia (a short taxi ride is easier than complicated public transport), and with Mount Vitosha looming over it in the background, this is both one of the city's best museums and a fascinating monument to the Communist era. The monolithic concrete building is a former palace for Communist party cadres and has a helicopter parked outside. Inside, the vast halls with their enormous wood-carved doors make the perfect setting for the largest museum in Bulgaria. The collection is huge, with some 650,000 artefacts telling the complete history of this Balkan state from prehistoric times to the present day. Note that ticket sales end 45 minutes before closing time.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's