Fodor's European Cruise Ports of Call
Mount Vitosha Review
Rising to more than 7,500 feet, yet just 4 miles south of central Sofia, Vitosha is visible from pretty much anywhere in the city—although the summit is covered in cloud for more than half the year. In winter the mountain becomes a popular ski resort, making this the only European capital where you can reach the pistes on local public transport. In summer hiking is the most popular pastime, and there is a network of trails where locals come to picnic and to gather wild berries. There is a cable car that will take you from the suburb of Dragalevski (reachable on bus 64) up to the Aleko Ski Center at 6,000 feet. When that isn't running you can also get there by road. A taxi is quite reasonable even from downtown.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more