Fodor's European Cruise Ports of Call
Varna Museum of Archaeology
Varna Museum of Archaeology Review
With a population of around 300,000, Varna is by far the biggest city on the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast. As well as being a good place to base yourself, the city has several interesting museums. The best of the bunch is its fascinating Museum of Archaeology, a palatial hall that contains more than 100,000 objects displayed in 39 rooms. All of the exhibits were found locally and bear witness to the Black Sea region being one of the World's earliest and longest-standing 'cradles of civilization', stretching back to flint tools from Mesolithic settlements around nearby Varna Lake. The museum building itself has a history, as it was originally constructed as a girls high school in the late 19th century. But the museum has been on-site almost as long, having first opened here in a single room in 1906 before eventually taking over the whole facility.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more