Black Sea Coast
The Black Sea Coast of Bulgaria stretches for 235 miles from the Romanian border in the north to the border with Turkey in the south. Golden sandy beaches cover more than one third of this length, and are a major draw for both local and overseas holidaymakers. Millions come here during the summer season. The Balkan Mountains divide the coastline into two—much of the north is rocky with cliffs up to 250 feet high; the south is known for its wide beaches. Dotted along the way are numerous fascinating towns, including Varna (the third largest in the country), Sozopol, and Nesebar. The latter has an ancient center filled with narrow cobbled streets and a rich heritage stretching back thousands of years.
Black Sea Coast at a Glance
Contacts & Resources
Elsewhere in Bulgaria
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe