- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
St. Bavo's Cathedral, begun in the austere 13th century but finished in the 16th century in the ornate Brabantine Gothic style, dramatically rises from a low, unimposing entryway. It contains one of the most beautiful and influential paintings of the Middle Ages: De aanbidding van het Lam Gods (The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb). In this altarpiece, painted by the brothers Jan and Hubert van Eyck, angels, cherubs, massive trees, flowing robes, and tresses combine to create a masterwork. One of its lower panels was stolen in 1934 and was never recovered, giving rise to numerous conspiracy theories and inspiring Albert Camus's novel, The Fall. The cathedral's ornate pulpit, made of white Italian marble and black Danish oak, was carved in the 18th century by the sculptor Laurent Delvaux. A Rubens masterpiece, Saint Bavo's Entry into the Monastery, hangs in one of the chapels. Other treasures include a baroque-style organ built in 1623 and a crypt crammed with tapestries, church paraphernalia, and 15th- and 16th-century frescoes. There are no visits during services, and because of thefts through the years, you must purchase a Mystic Lamb ticket to see the other treasures.
- Address: St-Baafsplein, Torenrij, Gent, B9000 | Map It
- Phone: 09/269–2065
- Cost: Cathedral free; Mystic Lamb museum and crypt, €4; tower €2
- Hours: Cathedral: Apr.–Oct., Mon.–Sat. 8:30–6, Sun. 9:30–6; Nov.–Mar., daily 8:30–5. Chapel: Apr.–Oct., Mon.–Sat. 9:30–4:45, Sun. 1–4:30; Nov.–Mar., Mon.–Sat. 10:30–4, Sun. 1–4. Tower: Mon.–Fri. 9:30–4:35, Sat. 10–4:35, Sun. noon–4:35
- Location: Gent
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Though my entire stay in Belgium's pretty capital was 2.5 days in total, most of my time was spent cheering on our son's varsity basketball team in the tournament at ISB, but I was able to sneak some peeks Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
I am going to be in Brugge in May and would like to take some cooking classes.
I have found a few in Lille (France about an hour away), but cant seem to find much in Brugge, Ghent or Antwerp.
I dont wa Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more