- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
St. Bavo's Cathedral, begun in the austere 13th century but finished in the 16th century in the ornate Brabantine Gothic style, dramatically rises from a low, unimposing entryway. It contains one of the most beautiful and influential paintings of the Middle Ages: De aanbidding van het Lam Gods (The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb). In this altarpiece, painted by the brothers Jan and Hubert van Eyck, angels, cherubs, massive trees, flowing robes, and tresses combine to create a masterwork. One of its lower panels was stolen in 1934 and was never recovered, giving rise to numerous conspiracy theories and inspiring Albert Camus's novel, The Fall. The cathedral's ornate pulpit, made of white Italian marble and black Danish oak, was carved in the 18th century by the sculptor Laurent Delvaux. A Rubens masterpiece, Saint Bavo's Entry into the Monastery, hangs in one of the chapels. Other treasures include a baroque-style organ built in 1623 and a crypt crammed with tapestries, church paraphernalia, and 15th- and 16th-century frescoes. There are no visits during services, and because of thefts through the years, you must purchase a Mystic Lamb ticket to see the other treasures.
- Address: St-Baafsplein, Torenrij, Gent, B9000 | Map It
- Phone: 09/269–2065
- Cost: Cathedral free; Mystic Lamb museum and crypt, €4; tower €2
- Hours: Cathedral: Apr.–Oct., Mon.–Sat. 8:30–6, Sun. 9:30–6; Nov.–Mar., daily 8:30–5. Chapel: Apr.–Oct., Mon.–Sat. 9:30–4:45, Sun. 1–4:30; Nov.–Mar., Mon.–Sat. 10:30–4, Sun. 1–4. Tower: Mon.–Fri. 9:30–4:35, Sat. 10–4:35, Sun. noon–4:35
- Location: Gent
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Thanks for the help from this board in planning our trip. Read more
October 25, 2013
Day 1 Gent
Grab your favorite Belgium beer, pull up a chair and join me for Day One of Brooke and Frank’s Belgium Extravaganza. Read more
Anyone that likes to have information or help on what to visit in Belgium, maybe I can help.
I live close to the city Gent and can help you get around.
Just reply to this post or send an email to Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more