- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Cathédrale St-Michel et Ste-Gudule
Cathédrale St-Michel et Ste-Gudule Review
The twin Gothic towers and outstanding stained-glass windows of the city's cathedral look down over the city. One namesake, Saint Michael, is recognized as the patron saint of Brussels, but mention Saint Gudule and most people will draw a blank. Very little is known about this daughter of a 7th-century Carolingian nobleman, but her relics have been preserved here for the past 1,000 years. Construction of the cathedral began in 1226 and continued through the 15th century; chapels were added in the 16th and 17th centuries. The remains of an 11th-century Romanesque church that was on the site can be glimpsed through glass apertures set into the floor. These, as well as the crypt and treasure rooms, can be visited for a nominal fee. Among the windows in the cathedral designed by various artists, those by Bernard van Orley, a 16th-century court painter, are the most spectacular. The window of The Last Judgment, at the bottom of the nave, is illuminated from within in the evening. All royal weddings and christenings take place here.
- Address: Parvis Ste-Gudule, Upper Town, Brussels, B1000 | Map It
- Phone: 02/217–8345
- Cost: free
- Hours: May–Sept., weekdays daily 7–6, weekends 8:30–6; Oct.–Apr., weekdays 8:30–7, weekends 8:30–6
- Website: www.cathedralestmichel.be
- Metro Metro: Gare Centrale. Bus: 71, 38, 65.
- Location: Upper Town
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Though my entire stay in Belgium's pretty capital was 2.5 days in total, most of my time was spent cheering on our son's varsity basketball team in the tournament at ISB, but I was able to sneak some peeks Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
We are a group of 6 (3 couples) who will be heading over to Belgium for a wedding this August. Read more
· News & Features
Foodies have fluffy waffles and world-class chocolates; history buffs have the centenary of World Wa... Read more
Feeling a little down on your luck?... Read more
Think of Belgium, and you'll probably first think of Brussels (followed swiftly by waffles, frites, and... Read more