- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Lying just south of the city center, Ixelles includes the city's most upmarket shopping district and the vibrant beat of Brussels's African quarter, the Matonge. A favored haunt of artists and writers, it's now home to the bourgeois and bohemian alike. Its Art Nouveau homes give the area a lot of the charm that the city center has lost through overdevelopment. To get here, take Metro Line 2 to Porte de Namur or Louise. If you're driving, take the Louise exit from the Ring Road.
Ixelles at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's