The convent dates from the 13th century, but by the 1960s there was only one Beguine nun left. Redbrick buildings surrounding a courtyard garden give a sense of tranquillity as you stroll the roughly cobbled walk. The convent is a little difficult to find, but your efforts will be rewarded with serene surroundings and charming houses, which you can only view from the outside.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Though my entire stay in Belgium's pretty capital was 2.5 days in total, most of my time was spent cheering on our son's varsity basketb... Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more. Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I... Read more