- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
At a Glance
- a designer's dream
- "green" sustainability is the rule here
- views out those oval windows
- some rooms on the snug side
Check Rates from our Partners
Opened in 2012, and already one of the top hotel showstoppers in town, the Topazz should win every design award in the book: it's an extraordinary homage to the Wiener Werkstätte style that took Vienna by storm in the early 1900s. Just imagine a cylindrical silver vase gemmed with big oval amber stones by Wiener Werkstätte design legend Koloman Moser—but ramped up to the size of a nine-story building: that's a possible first impression thanks to the façade, which is strikingly covered in giant oval-sized windows (these provide, from each guest room, an endlessly fascinating view of the world). Using the Jugendstil style, Josef Hoffmann and Dagobert Peche—two other leaders of the Wiener Werkstätte—favored geometric decoration over the sinuous curves of French Art Nouveau, and the results are on full show in the Topazz's lobby and breakfast lounge: with their suave slipper chairs and custom-made fauteuils in lavenders and off-whites, these spaces are impressive homages to Vienna's bygone "salon culture." Take the staircase or elevator (even these echo designs by Hoffmann) to the guest rooms, which are the height of sophistication: cool, plushless, with mahogany paneling, and steely gray furnishings. Throughly 21st century are the creature comforts: minibars, free Wi-Fi, and HD TVs in every room. As literati and designers love this hotel you may find it "booked," so head across the street to its larger sister hotel, the Lamée (opens early 2013).
- Address: Lichtensteg 3, 1st District, Vienna, 1010
- Phone: 01/532-2250
- Website: www.hoteltopazz.com
- Location: The Eastern City Center: Stephansdom and Medieval Vienna
- Rate includes no meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more
Hi, there. Read more
· News & Features
Think Europe is best in the springtime? ... Read more
The Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna opened its doors last month for the first time since the 1873 World... Read more
Despite what it may seem like, with its rich classical music and architectural roots, Vienna is an incredibly... Read more