- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom Review
Minimalist luxury can be a contradiction, but at the Sofitel, it's pulled off with supreme elegance. Opened in 2010, this new addition on the border of the 2nd District offers outstanding city skyline views. It's especially breathtaking on the 18th floor restaurant, Le Loft, where floor-to-ceiling windows circle the dining room (and the excellent food matches the setting). Guest rooms in a monochromatic palate of white, black, or gray echo St. Stephen's Cathedral. The effect is clean and futuristic. Amenities include Bose sound systems, Nespresso coffee machines, and flat-screen TVs. Hermès toiletries and beds of supreme fluffiness add to the indulgence. At night, an art installation by Piplotti Rist lights up the hotel's rooftop, providing the one vivid dose of color and transforming the building into a beacon.
Vienna at its Best
Sofitel's latest flagship, on the northern banks of the Danube Canal, is the 21st-century antidote to the historic pomp and grandeur we've come to expect of Viennese hotels. Designed by celebrity French architect Jean Novel with no gilt in sight, the austere 18-story glass tower is trisected by horizontal slices of psychedelic color. Inside the year-old luxury hotel, the sleek 182 rooms are done up in muted white, grey, or black palettes to project a monochromatic minimalism that, surprisingly, pleases the senses. The panoramic skyline views available from most rooms also up the ante; the best vistas are showcased at "Le Loft," the hotel's hip, penthouse restaurant and bar, which becomes a beacon of color after dark.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Austrian Vacation! Flights to Vienna From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Roomz Vienna in May: $123 & Up Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Vienna this May Fr $216+/Nt Save with Expedia, $30/night less
- Hot Deal on a 8 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $2,327 Expedia
- May deal: Das Triest Fr $187+/Nt — $187 Save with Expedia, $156/night less
We recently completed a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise with a 3 night pre-cruise extension in Prague and a 2 night post-cruise extension in Budapest.
In Prague, we stayed at the 5* Hotel Imperial, a lovely Read more
My husband and I are at the tail end of our 6-week trip, and he has been writing a travel blog. I thought I would post that here, and also the links to the pictures that go with each. Read more
VENICE - VERONA - PADOVA - VIENNA
MAY 5 - MAY 17 2013
––––––––––––––––––––– Read more
· News & Features
The Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna opened its doors last month for the first time since the 1873 World ... Read more
Despite what it may seem like, with its rich classical music and architectural roots, Vienna is an incredibly... Read more
Art fanatics take note: Hotel Sans Souci will have you salivating as soon as you step through the doors.... Read more