- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
At a Glance
- master chef Werner Pichlmaier
- location directly behind the Opera House could hardly be more central
- ratio of staff to guests is more than two to one
- Vienna's most sumptuous hotel
- cramped elevator
- booking by phone can be frustrating
- the Sacher is such a welcoming world some may never exit the front door to do their sightseeing
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Sacher Review
One of Europe's legends, originally founded by Franz Sacher, chef to Prince Metternich—for whom the famous chocolate cake was invented—this hotel dates from 1876 but has delightfully retained its Old World atmosphere-mit-Schlag while also providing luxurious, modern-day comfort. Little wonder the Sacher is often booked solid by its Stammgast regulars, who love the fact that this mythically grand "palace" is still a family-run hotel. Thanks to the benevolent rule of grande-dame owner Mme. Elisabeth Gürtler, the friendly staff makes guests feel as if they are in a perfectly managed private home. The public salons are so opulent you might wish to view them with a monocle, especially the Restaurant "Anna Sacher," resplendent in emerald-green plush, gilt-leaf Old Master paintings, and priceless Lobmeyr chandeliers. Beforehand, enjoy a glass of champagne in the Blaue bar, a vision in Harry Winstonesque sapphire. But if you want casual instead of dazzle, head to the Café Sacher, where everyone proudly orders a slice of Sacher-Torte. Upstairs, guest rooms are winning combinations of 19th-century antiques and traditional-style furniture, all cosetted in chic pattern-on-pattern fabrics and chilled by the most silent air-conditioning in Europe.
- Address: Philharmonikerstrasse 4, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010 | Map It
- Phone: 01/514–56–0
- Website: www.sacher.com
- Location: The Inner City Center: Baroque Gems and Vienna's Shopwindows
- 152 rooms.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more
Hi all - looking for some good advice for a trip we are planning mid to late May of 2015. Read more
· News & Features
Think Europe is best in the springtime? ... Read more
The Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna opened its doors last month for the first time since the 1873 World... Read more
Despite what it may seem like, with its rich classical music and architectural roots, Vienna is an incredibly... Read more