- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Hofmobiliendepot (Furniture Museum)
Hofmobiliendepot (Furniture Museum) Review
In the days of the Habsburg empire, palaces remained practically empty if the ruling family was not in residence. Cavalcades laden with enough furniture to fill a palace would set out in anticipation of a change of scene, while another caravan accompanied the royal party, carrying everything from traveling thrones to velvet-lined portable toilets. Much of this furniture is on display here, allowing a glimpse into everyday court life. The upper floors contain re-created rooms from the Biedermeier to the Jugendstil periods, and document the tradition of furniture making in Vienna. Explanations are in German and English. Across the street from the Furniture Museum is the fabulous restaurant Schon Schön.
- Address: Mariahilferstrasse 88, entrance on Andreasgasse 7th District/Neubau, Vienna, A-1070 | Map It
- Phone: 01/524–3357
- Cost: €7.90
- Hours: Tues.–Sun. 10–6
- U-Bahn: U3 Zieglergasse/follow signs to Otto-Bauer-Gasse/exit Andreasgasse.
- Location: South of the Ringstrasse: the MuseumsQuartier
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I planned my trip using this forum and thought I should pay it forward and hopefully help someone else out there who is planning a trip. Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
Need advice for my trip - 19 May - 3 June 2014.
Fly into Amsterdam and leave from Vienna.
Beginning at Amsterdam, my wife and I would like to travel by train and the 2 must visit place are Zermatt, Salszburgh. Read more
· News & Features
Think Europe is best in the springtime? ... Read more
The Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna opened its doors last month for the first time since the 1873 World... Read more
Despite what it may seem like, with its rich classical music and architectural roots, Vienna is an incredibly... Read more