- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Café Hawelka Review
Practically a shrine—indeed, almost a museum—the beloved Hawelka was the hangout of most of Vienna's modern artists, and the café has acquired quite an admirable art collection over the years. As you enter the rather dark interior, wait to be seated—which is unusual in Vienna—but then you can ask to have a look at the guest book, itself a work of art, with entries including some very illustrious names (Elias Canetti, Andy Warhol, Tony Blair, et al.) Back in the 1960s, the young John Irving enjoyed the atmosphere here, too, as you can see when reading The Hotel New Hampshire. The Hawelka is most famous for its Buchteln, a baked bun with a sweet filling, served fresh from the oven after 10 pm.
- Address: Dorotheergasse 6, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010 | Map It
- Phone: 01/512–8230
- Website: www.hawelka.at
- U-Bahn: U1 or U3/Stephansplatz.
- Location: The Inner City Center: Baroque Gems and Vienna's Shopwindows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more
Hi all - looking for some good advice for a trip we are planning mid to late May of 2015. Read more
· News & Features
Think Europe is best in the springtime? ... Read more
The Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna opened its doors last month for the first time since the 1873 World... Read more
Despite what it may seem like, with its rich classical music and architectural roots, Vienna is an incredibly... Read more