- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Liechtenstein Museum Review
This private art collection is so vast that only a tenth of it is on display. Prince Karl I of Liechtenstein began collecting art back in the 17th century, and each of his descendents added to the family treasure trove. The palace itself is a splendid example of baroque architecture. A mere "summer palace" was not grand enough for Prince Johann Adam Andreas I, who commissioned a full-blown palace with a marble hall, grand staircases, impressive stuccowork by Santino Bussi (who was paid with 40 buckets of wine in addition to a tidy sum), and sumptuous ceiling frescoes by Marcantonio Franceschini and Andrea Pozzo.
The pride of the museum is the Peter Paul Rubens Room, showcasing the Decius Mus cycle, which illustrates episodes from the life of the heroic ancient Roman consul who waged a war against the Latins. The grandest picture of the eight-painting cycle illustrates the death of the consul, and it is high drama, indeed: Decius Mus gazes up to heaven as he falls off his massive gray steed as a lance pierces his throat in the middle of a pitched battle. All these paintings were made as models for a tapestry series, which is why Rubens's panels are so enormous. There are other Rubens gems here, including one of his best children's portraits, that of his daughter, Clara Serena Rubens. It's easy to spend the greater part of a day here. Behind the palace is the exquisite landscaped park.
- Address: Fürstengasse 1, 9th District/Alsergrund, Vienna, A-1090 | Map It
- Phone: 01/319–57–670
- Cost: €10
- Hours: Fri.–Tues. 10–5
- Website: www.liechtensteinmuseum.at
- U-Bahn: Bus: 40A/Bauernfeldplatz. Tram: D/Bauernfeldplatz.
- Location: West of the Ringstrasse: Parlament and City Hall
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I planned my trip using this forum and thought I should pay it forward and hopefully help someone else out there who is planning a trip. Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
Need advice for my trip - 19 May - 3 June 2014.
Fly into Amsterdam and leave from Vienna.
Beginning at Amsterdam, my wife and I would like to travel by train and the 2 must visit place are Zermatt, Salszburgh. Read more
· News & Features
Think Europe is best in the springtime? ... Read more
The Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna opened its doors last month for the first time since the 1873 World... Read more
Despite what it may seem like, with its rich classical music and architectural roots, Vienna is an incredibly... Read more