- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
One of Vienna's most historic squares, this small plaza is now the site of an excavation revealing Roman plus 18th- and 19th-century layers of the past. The excavations are a latter-day distraction from the Michaelerplatz's most noted claim to fame—the eloquent entryway to the palace complex of the Hofburg.
Mozart's Requiem debuted in the Michaelerkirche on December 10, 1791. More people stop in today due a discovery American soldiers made in 1945, when they forced open the crypt doors, which had been sealed for 150 years. Found lying undisturbed for centuries were the mummified remains of former wealthy parishioners of the church—even the finery and buckled shoes worn at their burial had been preserved by the perfect temperatures contained within the crypt.
Bilingual tours are offered from Easter to October, Monday–Saturday, at 11 and 1:30. The cost is €5. You're led down into the shadowy gloom and through a labyrinth of passageways, pausing at several tombs (many of which are open so you can view the remains) for a brief explanation of the cause of death. On Wednesday at 3 pm free tours of the church are held in English.
- Address: Where Herrengasse, Reitschulgasse, and Schauflergasse meet, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010 | Map It
- Phone: 0676/503–4164
- U-Bahn: U3/Herrengasse.
- Location: The Inner City Center: Baroque Gems and Vienna's Shopwindows
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Our 40th anniversary (20 day) trip to Germany-Vienna: Part 1 - Castles
Overview: My wife and I celebrated our 40th anniversary with a trip to Germany and a side trip to Vienna. Read more
Report Abuse We recently returned from Bavaria, Germany and Austria (Sept 1-20). Read more
My fiance and I are getting married in the middle of June. Read more
· News & Features
Think Europe is best in the springtime?... Read more
The Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna opened its doors last month for the first time since the 1873 World... Read more
Despite what it may seem like, with its rich classical music and architectural roots, Vienna is an incredibly... Read more