- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Griechenbeisl (Greeks Tavern)
Griechenbeisl (Greeks Tavern) Review
If you want to find a nook where time seems to be holding its breath, head to where the Fleischmarkt (Meat Market) meets the hilly, cobblestoned Griechengasse. Part of the city's oldest core, this street has a genuine medieval feel, thanks to Vienna's only surviving 14th-century watchtower and an ivy-covered tavern, the Griechenbeisl, which has been in business for some 500 years. Half a millennium ago, this quarter was settled by Greek and Levantine traders (there are still many rug dealers here) and many of them made this tavern their "local." The wooden carving on the facade of the current restaurant commemorates Marx Augustin—best known today from the song "Ach du lieber Augustin"—an itinerant musician who sang here during the plague of 1679. A favored Viennese figure, he fell into a pit filled with plague victims but survived, presumably because he was so pickled in alcohol. In fact, this tavern introduced one of the great pilsner brews of the 19th century and everyone—from Schubert to Mark Twain, Wagner to Johann Strauss—came here to partake. Be sure to dine here to savor its low-vaulted rooms adorned with engravings, mounted antlers, and bric-a-brac; the Mark Twain Zimmer has a ceiling covered with autographs of the rich and famous dating back two centuries. Adjacent to the tavern is a Greek Orthodox Church partly designed by the most fashionable neoclassical designer in Vienna, Theophil Hansen.
- Address: Fleischmarkt 11, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010 | Map It
- Phone: 01/533–1977
- Website: www.griechenbeisl.at
- U-Bahn: U1 or U4/Schwedenplatz.
- Location: The Eastern City Center: Stephansdom and Medieval Vienna
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more
Hi, there. Read more
· News & Features
Think Europe is best in the springtime? ... Read more
The Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna opened its doors last month for the first time since the 1873 World... Read more
Despite what it may seem like, with its rich classical music and architectural roots, Vienna is an incredibly... Read more