The architectural jewel of Himmelpfortgasse, this imposing abode—designed by Fischer von Erlach in 1697 and later expanded by Hildebrandt—was originally the town palace of Prince Eugene of Savoy. The baroque details here are among the most inventive and beautifully executed in the city. The delightful motifs are softly carved, as if freshly squeezed from a pastry tube. Such baroque elegance may seem inappropriate for a finance ministry, but the contrast between place
and purpose could hardly be more Viennese.
Himmelpfortgasse 8, Vienna, A-1010, Austria