- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Spittelberg Quarter Review
The Spittelberg is like a slice of Old Vienna, a perfectly preserved little enclave that allows you to experience the 18th century by strolling along cobblestone pedestrian streets lined with pretty Baroque town houses. The quarter—one block northwest of Maria-Theresien-Platz off the Burggasse—offers a fair visual idea of the Vienna that existed outside the city walls a century ago. Most buildings have been replaced, but the engaging 18th-century survivors at Burggasse 11 and 13 are adorned with religious and secular decorative sculpture, the latter with a niche statue of St. Joseph, the former with cherubic work-and-play bas-reliefs. Around holidays, particularly Easter and Christmas, the Spittelberg quarter, known for arts and handicrafts, hosts seasonal markets offering unusual and interesting wares. Promenaders will also find art galleries and loads of restaurants.
- Address: Off Burggasse, 7th District/Spittelberg, Vienna, A-1070
- U-Bahn: U2 or U3/Volkstheater.
- Location: South of the Ringstrasse: the MuseumsQuartier
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more
Firstly, here's my blog page link: http://ashwinbahulkar.wordpress.com/my-travels-2/central-europe-austria-and-czech-republic/austria-and-prague/
It has quite a few pictures.
And I would like to thank Read more
· News & Features
Think Europe is best in the springtime? ... Read more
The Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna opened its doors last month for the first time since the 1873 World... Read more
Despite what it may seem like, with its rich classical music and architectural roots, Vienna is an incredibly... Read more