- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Vienna
Ride the Ringstrasse: Hop on streetcar No. 1 or No. 2 and travel full circle along Vienna's best-known avenue. No. 1 will take you from Staatsoper to Schwedenplatz, No. 2 from Schwedenplatz to Staatsopera. Those monumental buildings along the tree-lined boulevard reflect the imperial splendor of yesteryear.
World of Music: Delight your eyes and ears with a night out at the State Opera or Musikverein to experience what secured Vienna the title "heart of the music world."
Kunsthistorisches Museum: Enjoy the classic collection of fine art, including the best of Breughel, Titian, Rembrandt, and Rubens, at Austria's leading museum.
Schönbrunn Palace: Rococo romantics and Habsburg acolytes should step back in time and spend a half day experiencing the Habsburgs' former summer home.
An extended coffee break: Savor the true flavor of Vienna at some of its great café landmarks. Every afternoon around 3 the coffee-and-pastry ritual of Kaffeejause takes place from one end of the city to the other. For historical overtones, head for the Café Central or the opulent Café Landtmann. Intellectuals flock to Café Bräunerhof, known for its free chamber music concerts on weekends. Café Hawelka is the contrasting seat of the smoky art scene.Updated: 06-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's