- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Schloss Esterházy Review
The former palace of the ruling princes with its yellow facade reigns over the town. Built in the baroque style between 1663 and 1672 on the foundations of a medieval castle and later modified, it is still owned by the Esterházy family, who lease it to the provincial government for use mostly as offices. The Esterházy family rooms are worth viewing, and the lavishly decorated Haydn Room, an impressive concert hall where the composer conducted his own works from 1761 until 1790, is still used for presentations of Haydn's works, with musicians often dressed in period garb. The hall is one of several rooms on a guided tour (in English on request if there are at least 10 people) that lasts about 30 minutes. The cellar has a large wine museum with 700 objects inlcuding a massive wine barrel and historical grape press. A tour of the princess's apartment was added in 2012 and includes objects relating to three royal women. The park behind the Schloss is pleasant for a stroll or a picnic. In late August the park is the site of the Burgenland wine week, during which there's a two-hour tour on wine and culture at the palace. It ends with a tasting. Inquire at the information desk.
- Address: Esterházy Platz, Eisenstadt, A-7000 | Map It
- Phone: 02682/719–3000
- Cost: €9 for guided tour of family rooms; €7 for wine museum; princess's apartment €9
- Hours: Jan.–Mar., Fri.–Sun. 9–5; Apr.–mid-Nov., daily 9–6; mid-Nov.–Dec., daily 9–5; guided tours hourly Apr.–Nov. and every two hours Dec.–Mar.
- Website: www.schloss-esterhazy.at
- Location: Eisenstadt
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more
My cousins and I will be in Europe from Dec 6 - 29, and we're trying to fit in a loose itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more