- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Schloss Esterházy Review
The former palace of the ruling princes with its yellow facade reigns over the town. Built in the baroque style between 1663 and 1672 on the foundations of a medieval castle and later modified, it is still owned by the Esterházy family, who lease it to the provincial government for use mostly as offices. The Esterházy family rooms are worth viewing, and the lavishly decorated Haydn Room, an impressive concert hall where the composer conducted his own works from 1761 until 1790, is still used for presentations of Haydn's works, with musicians often dressed in period garb. The hall is one of several rooms on a guided tour (in English on request if there are at least 10 people) that lasts about 30 minutes. The cellar has a large wine museum with 700 objects inlcuding a massive wine barrel and historical grape press. A tour of the princess's apartment was added in 2012 and includes objects relating to three royal women. The park behind the Schloss is pleasant for a stroll or a picnic. In late August the park is the site of the Burgenland wine week, during which there's a two-hour tour on wine and culture at the palace. It ends with a tasting. Inquire at the information desk.
- Address: Esterházy Platz, Eisenstadt, A-7000 | Map It
- Phone: 02682/719–3000
- Cost: €9 for guided tour of family rooms; €7 for wine museum; princess's apartment €9
- Hours: Jan.–Mar., Fri.–Sun. 9–5; Apr.–mid-Nov., daily 9–6; mid-Nov.–Dec., daily 9–5; guided tours hourly Apr.–Nov. and every two hours Dec.–Mar.
- Website: www.schloss-esterhazy.at
- Location: Eisenstadt
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I planned my trip using this forum and thought I should pay it forward and hopefully help someone else out there who is planning a trip. Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
Need advice for my trip - 19 May - 3 June 2014.
Fly into Amsterdam and leave from Vienna.
Beginning at Amsterdam, my wife and I would like to travel by train and the 2 must visit place are Zermatt, Salszburgh. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more