- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
One of the most impressive sights in all Austria, the abbey of Melk is best approached in mid- to late afternoon, when the setting sun ignites the abbey's ornate baroque yellow facade. As you head eastward paralleling the Danube, the abbey, shining on its promontory above the river, comes into view. It easily overshadows the town, but remember that the riverside village of Melk itself is worth exploring. A self-guided tour (in English, from the tourist office) will point you toward the highlights and the best spots from which to photograph the abbey.
Melk at a Glance
Elsewhere in Vienna Woods, Lake Neusiedler, and the Danube River
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe