- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The train system is excellent, and reliable trains run frequently from Vienna's Schnellbahn stations to most of the destinations covered in this chapter. The main east-west train line cuts through the Vienna Woods; the main north-south line out of Vienna traverses the eastern edge of the Vienna Woods. Trains leave Vienna's Südbahnhof regularly for Baden, with stops in Gumpoldskirchen and in Mödling.
Train service in the Weinviertel is regular to Laa an der Thaya, Mistelbach, and Retz. You can get to the Weinviertel from Wien-Nord/Praterstern, then connect to buses running between the small villages.
The Schnellbahn No. 7 running from Wien-Mitte (Landstrasser Hauptstrasse) stops at Petronell, with service about once an hour. Carnuntum is about a 10-minute walk from the Petronell station. Trains go on to Hainburg, stopping at Bad Deutsch-Altenburg.
ÖBB—Österreichisches Bundesbahn (05/1717.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Austrian Vacation! Flights to Vienna From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Small budget: Book Roomz Vienna 3 Nts in May Fr $170+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Vienna this May Fr $130+/Nt Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $4,247 Expedia
- Austrian Vacation! Flights to Vienna From 505 R/T — $505+ ASAPTickets.com