- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The remains of the important Roman legionary fortress and civil town of Carnuntum, which once numbered 55,000 inhabitants, extend about 3 miles along the Danube from the tiny village of Petronell to the next town of Bad Deutsch-Altenburg. Though by no means as impressive as Roman ruins in Italy and Spain, Carnuntum still merits a visit, with two amphitheaters (the first one seating 8,000) and the foundations of former residences, reconstructed baths, and trading centers — some with mosaic floors. The ruins are quite spread out, with the impressive remains of a Roman arch, the Heidentor (Pagans' Gate), a good 15-minute walk from the main excavations in Petronell.
You can experience what Roman life was like circa 380 AD in the elegantly furnished Villa Urbana, which opened to the public in 2008. To reach Carnuntum from Vienna, take the S7, a local train that departs from Wien-Mitte/Landstrasse or Wien-Nord/Praterstern. It stops at both Petronell and Bad Deutsch-Altenburg.
Museum Carnuntinum. Many of the finds from excavations at Carnuntum are housed 4 km (2½ mi) northeast of Petronell in the village of Bad Deutsch-Altenburg, in the Museum Carnuntinum. The pride of the collection is a carving of Mithras killing a bull. Badgasse 40-46, Bad Deutsch-Altenburg. 2165/62480-13. mid-April.-mid-Nov. daily 10-6.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Austrian Vacation! Flights to Vienna From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Delta Vienna Fr $68+/Nt Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Vienna this May Fr $149+/Nt Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 8 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $2,327 Expedia
- Save in Vienna: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $209+/Nt — $209 Save with Expedia, $18/night less
My husband and I are at the tail end of our 6-week trip, and he has been writing a travel blog. I thought I would post that here, and also the links to the pictures that go with each. Read more
I had received a lot of valuable information in this forum, which was very helpful. Read more
We have eight days at the end of June to visit the Dolomites and surrounding areas.
We will fly roundtrip into Munich. The main focus of this trip is to hike in the Dolomites and Ortisei seems like a grea Read more
· News & Features
After months of grounding due to safety and reliability concerns, the buzzed-about Boeing 787 Dreamline... Read more
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more