The Danube Valley Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to The Danube Valley
The Melk Abbey. Magnificent Benedictine Baroque splendor leaves you breathless. The enormous edifice, stately royal rooms, lovely library, and golden, glittering church are incomparable.
Dürnstein. Meander down medieval cobbled lanes and take a seat in a vine-adorned courtyard to admire terrific views of the Danube and hills while sipping a glass of the best wine.
Linz. As the saying goes,"It begins in Linz." Designated the Cultural Capital of Europe 2009, the capital of the province of Upper Austria has awakened to a new future, taking a leading role in contemporary art, style, and design.
Wachau Valley. Travel in tranquillity by boat or bike between the historic towns of Krems and Melk and experience the Danube Valley's most picturesque and verdant vistas.
Kreuzenstein Castle. This huge fairy-tale fortress perched on a hill, complete with ramparts, armory, torture chamber, and kitchen, takes you back in time to the Middle Ages.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe