- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Adjacent to Gosau's pretty parish church, this inn is evidence of the venerable tradition of locating town restaurants next to houses of worship (on Sunday all the farmers would attend the service and afterward head for the nearest table and discuss what happened during the past week). Mentioned in town records as early as 1596, the inn here has now been much restored and built up in typical modern Alpine decor—woodwork, mounted antlers, hunter greens, bright reds. The current hosts, the Peham family, are proud of their restaurant and its rich breakfast buffet. Best bets for other meals include broth with strudel of minced meat, or the homemade noodles with cheese and white cabbage salad, or the plums with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. In August the inn hosts some festive concerts with a traditional Trachtenmusikkapelle, a brass band dressed in folkloric costume.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Holiday Inn Salzburg City on Sale: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $122+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 3-Star Star Inn Salzburg Airport: $93 & Up in Jun Expedia
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts at Sacher Salzburg Fr $359+/Nt — $359 Expedia
- Small budget: Book Amedia 3 Nts in Jun Fr $81+/Nt — $81 Save with Expedia, $36/night less
- Schone Aussicht in Jun: $96 & Up — $96 Save with Expedia, $43/night less
Three Meals, Three Countries Part I: Storks in Austria!
Obligation-free Saturdays were a rarity for us in the US, and we often "wasted" them by running errands, tending the yard, and so forth. As the Trailing Read more
We recently completed a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise with a 3 night pre-cruise extension in Prague and a 2 night post-cruise extension in Budapest.
In Prague, we stayed at the 5* Hotel Imperial, a lovely Read more
I have 5 days in Europe, leaving Wed, June 19. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more