- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Villa Lehár Review
A steady stream of composers followed the aristocracy and the court to Bad Ischl. Anton Bruckner, Johannes Brahms (who composed his famous Lullaby here as well as many of his late works, and whom Gustav Mahler visited here), Johann Strauss the Younger, Carl Michael Ziehrer, Oscar Straus, and Anton Webern all spent summers here, but it was the Hungarian born Franz Lehár, composer of The Merry Widow, who left the most lasting musical impression—today, Bad Ischl's summer operetta festival always includes one Lehár work. With the royalties he received from his operettas, he was able to settle into the sumptuous Villa Lehár, in which he lived from 1912 to his death in 1948. Now a museum, it contains a number of the composer's fin-de-siècle period salons, which can be viewed only on guided tours.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts at Sacher Salzburg Fr $359+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Book Amedia 3 Nts in Jun Fr $81+/Nt Save with Expedia, $36/night less
- Schone Aussicht in Jun: $96 & Up — $96 Save with Expedia, $43/night less
- Book 4-Star Schwaerzler Neutor Fr $151+/Nt — $151 Expedia
- Salzburg Savings! Book at Amadeo Fr $119+/Nt — $119 Expedia
Three Meals, Three Countries Part I: Storks in Austria!
Obligation-free Saturdays were a rarity for us in the US, and we often "wasted" them by running errands, tending the yard, and so forth. As the Trailing Read more
We recently completed a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise with a 3 night pre-cruise extension in Prague and a 2 night post-cruise extension in Budapest.
In Prague, we stayed at the 5* Hotel Imperial, a lovely Read more
I have 5 days in Europe, leaving Wed, June 19. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more