- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Salzkammergut
Fairy-tale landscape. The lakes and mountains resemble the pictures in a children's book, especially in the Styrian region.
Bad Iscl. This town, where the rich and famous have long come for the healing waters, was Emperor Franz Josef's summer retreat in the 19th century.
The Attersee. The region's largest lake has long attracted artists, including the great Gustav Klimt, who have come to sketch its magical shores.
Cradle of culture. Vienna and Salzburg may get all the credit, but the composers who made those cities cultural capitals came to this part of Austria to hear the music in the air.
Sports abound. Everyone knows about the region's great ski resorts, but there is an endless array of summer sports as well.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Salzburg: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $114+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3-Star Amadeus Fr $158+/Nt Save with Expedia, $15/night less
- Salzburg Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Villa Carlton Fr $294+/Nt — $294 Save with Expedia, $136/night less
- Book in Salzburg: Save this May Fr $647+/Nt — $647 Save with Expedia, $562/night less
- Save in Salzburg: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Save with Expedia, $17/night less