- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Taking a fairly steep road from Bad Aussee, you'll find Altaussee tucked away at the end of a lake cradled by gentle mountains. This is one of the most magical spots of the Salzkammergut. As Austrian poet Friedrich Torberg put it: "Whoever comes to Altaussee does not want to go anywhere else, and if he would, he couldn't. Altaussee is a crowning conclusion. The mountains not only lie around the lake, they surround and protect it. Like a fortress, they make you feel cozy and secure."
During the war, Nazi leaders were ordered to store stolen art in underground caverns near Altaussee. In their hurry to get the job done, they skipped a few details; one story has it that a famous painting from Vienna, possibly a Rubens or a Rembrandt, was overlooked and spent the remaining war years on the porch of a house near the entrance to the mines.
Elsewhere in Salzkammergut
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- BEST WESTERN Stieglbrau on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $109+/Nt Save with Expedia, $25/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Salzburg Fr $658+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Salzburg: Save at the Sacher Salzburg in May Fr $406+/Nt — $406 Expedia
- May deal: Markus Sittikus Fr $308+/Nt — $308 Expedia
- Castellani Park in May: $225 & Up — $225 Expedia