Salzkammergut Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- German Phrases
Plan Your Salzkammergut Vacation
Remember the exquisite opening scenes of The Sound of Music? Castles reflected in water, mountains veiled by a scattering of downy clouds, flower-strewn valleys dotted with cool blue lakes: a view of Austria as dreamed up by a team of Hollywood's special-effects geniuses—so many thought. But, no, except for the bicycle ride along the Mondsee, those scenes were filmed right here, in Austria's fabled Salzkammergut region.
In the grand old days, the aristocratic families of the region would welcome paying guests at their charming castles. Today most of those castles have been...read more
Culinary shrines are to be found around Mondsee. However, in many of the towns of the Salzkammergut you'll find country inns with dining rooms but few independent...read more
Things To Do in Salzkammergut
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
Now39° F Partly Cloudy 75% Humidity April 17, 2014 at 3:50AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more