- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Check Rates from our Partners
Schloss Mönchstein Review
With gorgeous gardens and hiking trails, it's little wonder the 19th-century naturalist Alexander von Humboldt called this retreat outside the city a "small piece of paradise." Catherine of Russia and the Duchess of Liechtenstein are just two of the notables who have stayed in the gable-roofed, tower-studded mansion. Inside, a series of lovely rooms are hung with tapestries and adorned with painted chests and old-master daubs. The wedding chapel is particularly popular with American and Japanese couples. Dining in the Gothic Saloon or the Orangerie Apollo create an outstanding atmosphere. Getting to town means a taxi, unless you're willing to negotiate stairs or take the nearby Mönchsberg elevator, which is about an eight-minute walk away. Pros: luxurious rooms; lovely views; feels far from the city. Cons: o utside the city center; need a car to get around.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Goldenes Theater in Jun: $299 & Up Expedia
- $96 & Up: Schone Aussicht 3-Star Hotel in Salzburg Save with Expedia, $43/night less
- Salzburg Savings! Book 3 Nts in Jun at Atel Lasserhof Fr $489+/Nt — $489 Expedia
- Jun deal: Altstadt Kaisererbraeu Fr $190+/Nt — $190 Expedia
- Save in Salzburg: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $126+/Nt — $126 Expedia
Three Meals, Three Countries Part I: Storks in Austria!
Obligation-free Saturdays were a rarity for us in the US, and we often "wasted" them by running errands, tending the yard, and so forth. As the Trailing Read more
We recently completed a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise with a 3 night pre-cruise extension in Prague and a 2 night post-cruise extension in Budapest.
In Prague, we stayed at the 5* Hotel Imperial, a lovely Read more
We returned two weeks ago from an exhausting but fabulous trip of these 3 countries. Read more
· News & Features
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more