- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Stiftskeller St. Peter
Stiftskeller St. Peter Review
Legends swirl about the famous St. Peter's Beer Cellar. Locals claim that Mephistopheles met Faust here, others say Charlemagne dined here, and some believe Columbus enjoyed a glass of its famous Salzburg Stiegl beer just before he set sail for America in 1492. But there is no debating the fact that this place—first mentioned in a document dating back to 803—is Austria's oldest restaurant. It is also one of the most dazzling dining experiences in Salzburg. Choose between the fairly elegant, dark-wood-panel Prälatenzimmer (Prelates' Room) or one of several less-formal banqueting rooms. Along with other Austrian standards, you can dine on fish caught in local rivers and lakes.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Holiday Inn Salzburg City on Sale: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $122+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Salzburg this Jun Fr $261+/Nt Save with Expedia, $65/night less
- Save at 3-Star Star Inn Salzburg Airport: $93 & Up in Jun — $93 Expedia
- Save at 4-Star am Mirabellplatz: $126 & Up in Jun — $126 Expedia
- Salzburg Savings! Book at Amadeo Fr $119+/Nt — $119 Expedia
Three Meals, Three Countries Part I: Storks in Austria!
Obligation-free Saturdays were a rarity for us in the US, and we often "wasted" them by running errands, tending the yard, and so forth. As the Trailing Read more
We recently completed a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise with a 3 night pre-cruise extension in Prague and a 2 night post-cruise extension in Budapest.
In Prague, we stayed at the 5* Hotel Imperial, a lovely Read more
I have 5 days in Europe, leaving Wed, June 19. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more