- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
At a Glance
- unbeatable location
- top-notch dining
- charm to spare
- noisy neighborhood
Check Rates from our Partners
Goldener Hirsch Review
Celebrities from Picasso to Pavarotti have favored the "Golden Stag" for its legendary Gemütlichkeit, patrician pampering, and adorable decor. It's near the most popular sites, but double-paned windows ensure you won't hear a thing once you enter this special, private world. Inside it's delightfully rustic, with hand-carved wood, peasant-luxe furniture, and some of the lowest ceilings in town; the stag motif is even on lamp shades, which were hand-painted by an Austrian countess. As it's a historic treasure, expect some rooms to have snug, yet cozy, dimensions (some readers have written in alarm about some far-flung rooms tucked under the eave). There are two restaurants: the regal dining room and a smaller bistro. The latter is set on the pretty Sigmundsplatz, and locals love its cozy, timbered look and the house specialty, Nürnberger Bratwürstl (half a dozen little roasted Nürnberg sausages served with sauerkraut and served on pewter heart-shaped plates).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Austria Experience IExplore
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Regal Central Europe IExplore
- Regal Central Europe — $9,895 IExplore
Three Meals, Three Countries Part I: Storks in Austria!
Obligation-free Saturdays were a rarity for us in the US, and we often "wasted" them by running errands, tending the yard, and so forth. As the Trailing Read more
We recently completed a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise with a 3 night pre-cruise extension in Prague and a 2 night post-cruise extension in Budapest.
In Prague, we stayed at the 5* Hotel Imperial, a lovely Read more
Hello everyone! Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side, ... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more