- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Salzburg Museum (Neugebäude)
Salzburg Museum (Neugebäude) Review
The biggest "gift" to Mozart was the opening, one day shy of his 250th birthday, on January 26, 2006, when Salzburg's mammoth 17th-century Neue Residenz (New Residence) welcomed visitors to an exhibition entitled "Viva! Mozart." The setting is splendid, as this building was Prince-Archbishop Wolf-Dietrich's "overflow" palace (he couldn't fit his entire archiepiscopal court into the main Residenz across the plaza). As such, it features 10 state reception rooms that were among the first attempts at a stil Renaissance in the North. Highlights of the archaeological collection include Hallstatt Age relics, remains of the town's ancient Roman ruins, and the famous Celtic bronze flagon found earlier this century on the Dürrnberg near Hallein (15 km south of Salzburg). Pride of place is given to the spectacular Sattler Panorama, one of the few remaining 360-degree paintings in the world, which shows the city of Salzburg in the early 19th century. Also here is the original composition of "Silent Night," composed by Franz Gruber in nearby Oberndorf in 1818.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Goldenes Theater in Jun: $299 & Up Expedia
- $96 & Up: Schone Aussicht 3-Star Hotel in Salzburg Save with Expedia, $43/night less
- Salzburg Savings! Book 3 Nts in Jun at Atel Lasserhof Fr $489+/Nt — $489 Expedia
- Jun deal: Altstadt Kaisererbraeu Fr $190+/Nt — $190 Expedia
- Save in Salzburg: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $126+/Nt — $126 Expedia
Three Meals, Three Countries Part I: Storks in Austria!
Obligation-free Saturdays were a rarity for us in the US, and we often "wasted" them by running errands, tending the yard, and so forth. As the Trailing Read more
We recently completed a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise with a 3 night pre-cruise extension in Prague and a 2 night post-cruise extension in Budapest.
In Prague, we stayed at the 5* Hotel Imperial, a lovely Read more
We returned two weeks ago from an exhausting but fabulous trip of these 3 countries. Read more
· News & Features
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more