- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
At a Glance
- lots of history
- some rooms have antique-style furniture
- chain-hotel feel
Check Rates from our Partners
An old-time favorite, this hotel was once graced by the real Maria von Trapp (her personal check, written when she stayed here in 1981, is set under glass on the second floor). But we mean really old: this 700-year-old house began life as an inn run by Salzburg citizen Hans Goldeisen, host to the likes of Maximilian II, who on his way from Spain via Italy to Vienna was accompanied by his new pet, an Indian elephant named Soliman. That's also the reason why guests are welcomed by the sight of an elephant sculpture in the lobby. Some rooms are alluring, with pale-yellow striped wallpaper and blue accents, but others are much more generic. For real history, repair to the hotel's "Ratsherrenkeller," one of Salzburg's most famous wine cellars in the 17th century. Today it's the restaurant Bruno, and serves alluring candlelight dinners.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 4-Star Mercure Salzburg Central Fr $144+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Salzburg this Jun Fr $261+/Nt Save with Expedia, $65/night less
- Salzburg Savings! Book at Altstadt Kaisererbraeu Fr $191+/Nt — $191 Expedia
- Atel Lasserhof in Jun: $488 & Up — $488 Expedia
- Save at 4-Star am Mirabellplatz: $126 & Up in Jun — $126 Expedia
Three Meals, Three Countries Part I: Storks in Austria!
Obligation-free Saturdays were a rarity for us in the US, and we often "wasted" them by running errands, tending the yard, and so forth. As the Trailing Read more
We recently completed a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise with a 3 night pre-cruise extension in Prague and a 2 night post-cruise extension in Budapest.
In Prague, we stayed at the 5* Hotel Imperial, a lovely Read more
I have 5 days in Europe, leaving Wed, June 19. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more