- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Salzburg
The view from Fortress Hohensalzburg. Go up to the fortress on the peak and see what romantic visitors in the 19th century enjoyed so much—the soul-stirring combination of gorgeous architecture in a stunning natural location.
A pilgrimage to the Rome of the North. See the magnificent baroque churches built not only to honor God but also to document the importance of the ruling prince-archbishops during the 17th century.
Concerts, operas, and more. Feel the spirit of 1,300 years of musical history as you listen to the music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the greatest composer who ever lived, in the Marble Hall of Mirabell Palace. Or perhaps you would prefer an opera performed by marionettes or a mass sung in the cathedral. You'll run out of time, not options, in Salzburg.
Medieval city. After exploring the Altstadt's grand churches and squares, cross the river Salzach to take in the completely different atmosphere of the narrow, 16th-century Steingasse, where working people once lived and shops, galleries, and clubs now beckon.
Rulers' delights. Drive, bike, walk, or take the boat out to Schloss Hellbrunn, a Renaissance-inspired pleasure palace with trick fountains and the gazebo that witnessed so much wooing in The Sound of Music.Updated: 06-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's