- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
A cable car takes you up to the Pfänder, a 3,460-foot peak overlooking the city. It's a breathtaking view—Bregenz, on the shore of Lake Constance, stretches out for 64 km (40 miles) into the hazy distance below you. On your left lies the Rhine valley, and you can see the hills of Liechtenstein and Switzerland. Just across the water from Bregenz you'll notice the island-city of Lindan in Bavaria, which some insist is also a country, though it's officially called a "Freistaat" (free state). Altogether you can see four countries from the Pfänder—five if you count Bavaria—and almost 240 Alpine peaks. The Pfänder restaurant is open June–mid-September. Children will enjoy a 30-minute circular hike to a small outdoor zoo with deer, Alpine goats, and wild boar. Admission is free.
- Phone: 05574/42160
- Cost: Round-trip €11.40
- Hours: Dec.–Oct., daily 9–7; service on hr and ½ hr
- Location: Bregenz
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
This is a long overdue trip report on our first trip to Europe during summer 2013.
A little background: We are a family with two little girls, 6 and 4 years of age, who have traveled extensively in Asia Read more
I may visit the Tatras mountain area in July, with teenagers who may not be in top condition. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more